Clean Eating (flippin'amazing) Shamrock Shaaaaaaake!!!!!!

Like......I can't.






LOOOK!!!! Look at it!!!

Smooth and creamy and minty and delicious!!!! The 16 year old me remembers slurping one of these down with a cheeseburger.

The 33 year old actual me looks at this and gains 5 pounds. Happily.

Look again...



Mmm.....I can even SEE the swirls of artificial mint flavor.

This.  Is the Shamrock Shake.

I love all things mint, and especially mint ice cream.  And this....well....it's the mythological, spine-tingling treat that comes out but once a year to shine its green, minty sun on the earth.

Okay...."once a year" is equal to roughly February 26th-March 20th......a.k.a. "St. Patrick's Lead Up Weeks."

So, back to the 33 year old me with the size 6 dress I need to fit in for two weddings in the next couple of months.  I also have not darkened "Mickey D's" doorstep in many years.

:::Homer Simpson voice:::: Stupid health and stupid aging with its stupid stipulations like not eating milkshakes.  

So.......early March had me craving Shamrock Shakes as usual, but caught in a Catch-22 of artificial flavors and green dye. And every "imitation" recipe you find on Pinterest calls for "A cup of whole milk! A huge scoop of vanilla ice cream! Your soul!" 

Okay, if I was going to make one with WHOLE MILK and ICE CREAM I might as well haul my Chevy Equinox (jealous?) down to the McDonald's drive-through!!!!

I needed an "imitation" that did not include 487.6 grams of fat. So.....

In a frenzy of creativity and sheer desperation.....I did it.  I freaking did it.

I made......a 99% natural (you'll see where I needed that 1%), protein-packed, satisfying, "could-fool-a-leprechaun"...... Shamrock Friggin' Shake.

And I've had one every single morning since I stirred up the magic recipe.  And I can't hold this secret in my heart.  I must share it with the world.  Or at least, with the portion of the world that cares about health AND has their heart aching for a Shamrock Shake (roughly 98% of the world....probably).

So here it is........whip one up....take a sip....and jig yourself over here for a hug.



Clean Eating Shamrock Shake

In a blender cup (or, I guess blender....but I broke mine a long time ago trying to blend frozen bananas) blend:

- 1.5 cup almond milk (unsweetened, vanilla or sweetened) 
- 1- 1.5 frozen bananas......pre cut and frozen
- handful of fresh or frozen kale or collard greens (just do it...you can't taste it.  Just put it in your freezer so you have it and DO IT.)
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder  (I use "Gold Standard"'s  Whey Vanilla Ice Cream flavor)
- 1teaspoon mint extract  (do NOT use more b/c you think it will be great....it won't be.)
- 3-4 drops of green food coloring (this is the 1% unnatural aspect.  and my mind needed to see it.)

Blend it up.....take a sip....and cry.  Cry minty, green tears.

(whispers)  I love you........

Comments