I've posted before about my Annie Sloan chalk paint obsession, so I thought I'd start a page of various furniture and/or household items that have become victim to learning new chalk painting techniques. I am, by far, no expert. But, you can't learn without trying and taking chances, right?
Here are my projects in some-what chronological order.
1. My husband's old dresser from his first apartment. Your standard gigantic, oak monster. Notice the missing knobs. Fancy!
3. Before and After of the project I was least thrilled about....and I got paid for it.
This is a desk that my neighbors found on the side of the road, so they handed it over to me with a general color palate in mind and told me to have at it. It was my first attempt at color-on-color distressing and it didn't turn out how I wanted, but the neighbors were thrilled.....thank goodness.
One coat Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Graphite, two coats AS chalk paint in Emperor's Silk. Here's where I went wrong.....two coats was one coat too many. When it came to sanding/distressing to get the Graphite to show through, I practically dislocated my arm. Next time.....ONE coat of top color. Finished with a dark wax.
4. Super rad hexagon side table circa 1970 that I found on the side of Ferry Rd. My husband was super thrilled when I pulled the car over, in the rain, to put it in the trunk.
Two coats Annie Sloan French Linen, topical faux distressing with Old Ochre. Vintage 1960's damask wallpaper I found on Etsy cut to shape and sealed with Mod Podge on top. New knobs.
5. My favorite project so far, and one that I did in a day. Found this sweet little cabinet/console at one of my favorite antique stores- Factory Antiques in Silverdale, PA
I learned my lesson from the red desk and applied the blue coat very lightly so that I could distress it easily.
I replaced the bottom drawer knobs with bronze ones from Lowes, but for the top drawer, I decided to look for vintage and found the perfect pair on a lovely Etsy shop here:
The shop owner and I ended up writing back and forth and she was equally as delighted as I was that the beautiful, 1920's era pulls had wound up on my vintage cabinet. Thank you, Pamela!!
And here's the finished product after distressing and two coats of clear wax....
Kestutis.......to cope. I am grateful for discovering an artistic hobby that I love and that helps me cope :)