Do you believe in fate? That twisted paths cross in life ? Not to be dramatic (too late!!!) but I do.
When I was in high school, I knew OF a girl named Jen, who was a year older than me. One of those....yeah, she's a year older than me, and that's about all that I know!
If you would have told me in 1999 that "that girl" Jen would not only be one of my bridesmaids someday, but the godmother of my son.......I'd say you be cray!
But, in a long winding path that we like to refer to as "our 20's", "Jen" was roommates with my (future) husband. Future husband and I meet through a mutual friend (another twist of fate) and I say to Jen, "Hey, didn't you go to (insert name of high school we went to)?" We all hang out....yadda yadda.....Jen's my bridesmaid 2 years later. Jen and Chad get married (the guy with bright white sneakers and a red Eclipse who kicked his menthol cigarette habit for her).....yadda yadda....we love them to pieces.....yadda yadda.....I get pregnant with future son....yadda yadda.....Who's Catholic that we know and we'd trust to be loving godparents.....yadda yadda....Jen & Chad become Jackson's godparents..... (insert picture)
Flash forward to a nice lunch after Christmas where Jen and Chad say that the nursery is done (Baby Boy due February 11th!!!), but the walls need decoration.... (insert picture here)
(My brain) "Hmm....I think I remember a thing I saw on Pinterest (a lot of my brainstorming starts this way) where you can Mod Podge some stuff on wood and it looks fabulous!"
I decided to make a nursery decoration that incorporated their Honeymoon trip to Italy, and one of their favorite cities there....Positano. They dazzled us with stories in 2008 of drinking from wine bottles on the beach while they munched on sandwiches. And why pick a random picture off of Google image of Positano, when I have full access to their Facebook albums and can right-click and "save" with the best of them!!!
Hehe. So here's what I did......
1) Stalk friend's Facebook Honeymoon album for perfect picture. Right click. Save.
2) Open picture in PicMonkey (dot com!). Amazing, free, photo editor for people that have no idea how to edit a photo......like me!!!
3) edit picture to soften edges, add some sparkle doo-dads, and create a text overlay with an Italian baby lullaby.....
5) Put baby down for nap. Put all items on dining room table to craft. Get cup of coffee. Accidentally put cup of coffee down ON cardstock picture of Positano, leaving a coffee ring. Say, "Crap!"
6) Decide that computer paper version of picture will have to do. Tell self that you are "so dumb"
7) Open 8x10 finished wood plaque bought at Michael's Craft Store
8) Get some white acrylic paint out of giant blue "craft bin of fun" and sponge brushes.
9) get out Mod Podge. Things are about to get real.
10) Nail picture hangers bought at Michael's. Later feel like an idiot because those things are supposed to go on the WALL, not the thing you hang. (Later decide to take hooks off and hang ribbon with nails to the back)
11) Paint wood with white acrylic paint. Let dry. Get that paper ready for 'podgin'!
12) Carefully (for God's sake!!!) place computer paper picture on top of still-wet Mod Podged wood. Curse because you didn't place it correctly. Lift. Place again. Smooth out any air bubbles with finger.
13) Paint entire picture and visible wood with another coat of Mod Podge using a sponge brush. It dries clear, but try to be a bit light with it. You don't need a coat the thickness of a Blue Whale's blubber.
(picture missing- what the heck? I am such a slacker)
14) Nail a pretty bow to the back of it (I chose a nice, neutral chevron. Who doesn't love chevron???) Tie in a nice bow, and voila!!! Personalized, meaningful, nursery wall art. Without any duckies or bunnies.
Flash forward to January 24, 2014. With just weeks to go before Jen is set to birth Baby Boy, we invite them over for pizza at our house on a cold, Friday night. Pizza is eaten, play with toddler godson commences....yadda yadda....Jen says she feels great, yadda yadda.....
Jen & Chad open picture..... "Hey, it's Positano!" "Yes....it's YOUR picture. I took it from Facebook!" "Oh, wow!" If I may speak on their behalf....they loved it :)
Flash forward to January 25, 2014, approximately 6:00 p.m. Text from Jen informs that she is IN LABOR!!!!!!!! WHAAAT??????? Baby Boy has decided to come early!
January 25, 2014 at 9:19 p.m. Baby Will is born to the world.
May God bless Baby William, Momma Jen and Daddy Chad. We love you all and are so thankful to have you in our lives. Here's to much love and happiness.....and.....
Fa la ninna, fa la nanna
Nella braccia della mamma
Fa la ninna bel bambin,
Fa la nanna bambin bel,
Fa la ninna, fa la nanna
Nella braccia della mamma.
(English)Go to sleep, go to sleepy
In the arms of your mother,
Go to sleep, lovely child,
Go to sleepy, child so lovely,
Go to sleep, go to sleepy
In the arms of your mother.